Tuesday, April 27, 2010

10:11 - a banana, a pon piah, two matcha cookies, and a peanut palmier. And coffee with milk.




14:21 - Indomie and two pieces of (leftover) fried chicken. I'm beginning to be very good at clearing the fridge of leftovers.




16:19 - lemon-scented tea with milk. Unfortunately, I was in a rush to get to pole and most of this tea ended up in the drain.




21:28 - chicken macaroni soup. There were a carrot, an onion, and some Chinese cabbage in the soup. I gave the carrot a miss because I prefer the Chinese cabbage.




21:45 - an egg tart.




22:09 - lemon-scented tea and leftover nuggets. I was hungry.




Pole was okay - I almost got the superman to shoulder-mount transition. I also nailed the advanced sitting-V! Yay! But my left hand's been acting weird - the twinges I felt in my elbow have shifted upwards to my arm. Bummer. I didn't try any feet-off inverts because of this.

I also found some interesting articles on Singaporean English (I don't think it should be called Singapore English - I mean, we certainly don't use America English, do we?) on ProQuest that I'm keen to get into. Do titles such as "Mergers and acquisitions: on the ages and origins of Singapore English particles", "'Why you so Singlish one' A semantic and cultural interpretation of the Singapore English particle one", and "Contextualizing aunty in Singaporean English" not sound really interesting?

I'm also trying to look for more sociolinguistic articles concerning attitudes towards colloquial Singaporean English (i.e. Singlish), like this one, "Attitudes toward non-standard English in Singapore". Mainly, I'm curious why humor material presented in Hokkien and/or Singlish is so much funnier (to me) than those presented in standard Singaporean English (imagine Lee Hsien Loong doing stand-up - I think not). I found the way Phua Chu Kang (the character, not the show) speak funny, but if I speak like he does, would I still find him funny?

Also, earlier last week, I saw a clip on Youtube that I didn't quite get. Who is this brennen.sg? (The page won't load for the URL.) Miss Izzy's accent is a little strange for me, but does that warrant what comes across as a patronizing remark (1:10-1:30)? Also, that guy who was making those disparaging remarks? I thought he started to put on an accent too - a Malay accent. Met the kettle, have you, pot?

The comments on the clip were interesting too - I'm so happy to see reasoned responses. C and I discussed a little about the accent issue. She found Singlish to be very sing-song, and the Singlish wiki page confirmed it was due to the influence of Chinese dialects which are tonal. (Prior to this, I've never noticed how sing-song my spoken English is!) We concurred it any unhappiness over the varieties of accent expressed by Singaporeans is due to the Tall Poppy Syndrome - or, more accurately, pre-emptive TPS (i.e. to look down on people perceived - erroneously or not - to be looking down at you). It might also have been the Pinkerton syndrome, as one of the Youtube commenters suggested, but I think it's more like a reverse-Pinkerton syndrome.

Wait. I'm now very confused.

This needs more thought.

No comments: