Wednesday, March 31, 2010

09:55 - Indomie and a black coffee.





14:26 - a banana.




16:00 - multigrain toast with cold roast chicken and a sliced boiled egg, and a small black coffee.




20:13 - takeaway char kway teow from Satay Palace. This is our favorite from Satay Palace - it's chockful of veges, especially crunchy bean sprouts which I love! - so much so that the people behind the counter pretty much know our order when we walk in.




21:08 - a lemon-scented tea to wash the grease down.




23:17 - a navel orange. This one doesn't taste so sweet - in fact, there's a weird aftertaste on my tongue after every slice. Wonder why.




Someone yelled "Asian fuck" at me from a car as I stood at the traffic light on Willis St. I was scared (it brought me back to when I was twelve, standing at a street corner in Chinatown in L.A. with my family, and a cornering jeep full of what seem in retrospect like frat-boys yelled stuff and spit ice at us - that incident shook me) and angry. Later, it occurred to me that people who choose expend energy on such vitriol prolly aren't too bright (but then bigotry is always the wilful bastard child of ignorance). I mean, what if I didn't understand much English, if at all? Then all the energy (and braincells) it took you to come up with the insult and scream it loud enough for me to hear would be wasted; more than that, it could be a win-win situation for me: I would be blissfully unaware, and the more evolved life-forms around me who heard would think you're an asshole.

(But I'm still petty enough to hope that whatever you projected to me - or at least tried to - would come back threefold to you. So there.)

1 comment:

c said...

i think it was russell peters who was doing a skit on racism and racist comments in canada/usa.

he said he often came across people who want to insult him but didn't know with ethnic category he came under so they would sort of hesitate and rack their brains trying to find a "proper insult" for him.

sigh.....but insults that are yelled out like that is scary.

but what's particularly stupid is the white-man asking us asians to go home ... when the maori actually came here first, so they can ask the white man to go home!