Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sleepless Week

Yeah, that was last week. It was hard fall asleep immediately upon hitting sack, so I ended up doing little exercises and/or watching YouTube clips till 1 am. That horrible sleeping hour coupled with the time I had to wake (06.30) meant I was just tired all the time when I wasn't totally jacked up on caffeine.

So, not only did I not finish my readings for yesterday, I watched zero movies. However, I did manage to make it to aerial gym on Wednesday night with a couple of girls I got to know through aerial yoga, and saw many familiar faces (and got back on the lyra!) at aerial gym.

After discussion yesterday, we had dinner together again, and drinks again. I do like these outings with the QUILTBAG group. It didn't even occur to me to feel out of place until Auntie Al mentioned and asked me about it. True, I know nothing about and have never been involved in the LGBTQ scene here, but that is why this QUILTBAG discussion group is such an educational and illuminating experience for me.

I have to admit, too, having read the readings given to us I feel inflamed with desire — a need, even — to do something. To give back, from the privileged position in which I have begun to realize I stand.

Then, as I was walking my dog earlier tonight, I thought about the brainwave one of familiar faces at aerial gym had: How about we combine a space for cirque practique with a small kitchen service (that includes wine/alcohol)?

YES. To expand PH's idea further: Obviously, nobody should get up on an appartus when they're less than sober, so we can either restrict entry to the apparatus area once alcohol is being served; or, we install door bitches at the apparatus area. I know the people who go to the dance/yoga studios I'd gone to are all middle-class (and above) — or at least have disposable income. I would like to have these people direct their money to worthy (local) causes while they enjoy themselves. Also, the F&B area will have to source locally, if not from fair-trade imports.

The fact is, among all these lovely people I meet at the studios are people who can cook and bake (one of them even does it professionally), and are artistically inclined. We could beg for their help or hire them.

The only question is: How sustainable is this? My cynical and pessimistic side says: NOT AT ALL. With space at a premium and rent sky-high, unless there are angel investors and someone with good business sense at the helm, and a lot of hard work and long hours, this is but a pipe-dream.

Anyway. I felt the need to watch a silly Hindi film today to avoid feeling overwhelmed by my thoughts and emotions, so I watched Doli Ki Doli ... which was perfect because this movie was underwhelming.

There is no real tension, no real story, and there isn't even a character to root for. The blasé ending could've been ameliorated had Robin Singh not burned the damn 'looteri dulhan' file.

I mean, as Dolly herself pointed out, they do what they do because they're good at it. A better ending, therefore, would've been Robin smiling to himself as he reopens the 'looteri dulhan' file and continues his cat-and-mouse game with Dolly and her gang. Robin and Dolly could've met every so often when he catches up to her.

Anyway. it's an "AK" production so I guess I couldn't expect too much from this film ...

No comments: