Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Tofu of Metaphors and Analogies

Finally finished The Matrix trilogy this week. Prior to borrowing the second and third installments, I was discussing my viewing of The Matrix with Debby and she told me I should just stop watching right here — the other two in the trilogy aren't quite worth watching.

As I was watching The Matrix Reloaded, I realized I prolly should've listened to Debby. I found Reloaded too bloated with needless scenes. Like the needlessly extended fight scenes (although it finally occurred to me who the style of fighting reminded me of — Jet Li in the Once Upon A Time In China series), or the expositions which were needlessly verbose (without telling me shit).

And the Architect. Holy shit, dude, I need to transcribe and parse what you're saying. With a dictionary. I found a transcription of the scene and reading it is actually easier than listening to it.

Is it weird that I actually prefer The Matrix Revolutions? If Reloaded is a whole load of bean-plating and exposition (and, imo, pseudo-intellectual and pseudo-philosophical wankery), then Revolutions is almost its opposite, to the extent that Revolutions appears to be a straightforward action flick.

Also, I found myself thinking about horcruxes and Harry's relationship with Voldemort in relation to Agent Smith, his clones, and his relationship with Neo. If the relationship is simplified to good versus evil, then both must live, no? You can't have one without the other, but is it not impossible to have neither?

Since Neo destroyed Agent Smith (and clones) by allowing himself to be destroyed, there must be, for at least a short moment, in the rebooted Matrix, in which there exists neither 'good' (personified by the One) nor 'evil' (personified by AI programs, i.e. the Agents) in the perspective of the people of Zion?

Anyway. In Debby's and my chat, we both agreed that we would prolly want to be back in the Matrix for the lovely taste of a steak. For me, Reloaded and Revolutions recall The Four Quartets. 'East Coker' begins with: "In my beginning is my end", and ends with: "In my end is my beginning" — which is pretty much repeated incessantly in Reloaded. The Matrix itself more or less boils down to: "human kind / Cannot bear very much reality" (imo).

I'mma take a moment here to mention Persephone (i.e. Monica Belluci). I feel like she seems to serve no real purpose other than to provide eye-candy by way of a beautiful face, an awesomely proportioned female form, and glorious, glorious breasts and cleavage.

Random thoughts while watching the trilogy:

  • I don't like Morpheus: I think he's two white rabbits away from becoming the deranged and delirious street-corner preacher.
  • Ignore the sartorial/costume choices. Ignore the sartorial/costume choices. Ignore the sartorial/costume choices ...
  • Man, did the creepy crawly sentinels provide "inspiration" for the mimics and alphas of Edge of Tomorrow?
  • The Matrix trilogy is totally the tofu of metaphors and analogies. Really, you can flavor it (with any context) any way you desire but not everybody is gonna like it. Because tofu. (And texture and consistency.)
  • The Nebuchadnezzar reminds me of Serenity and every appearance of Gina Torres makes me scream (internally), "ZOEEEEEEE ZOEEEEE ZOEEEE ZOEEEEE ZOEEEEEEEEEEE ...!!!"
  • I miss Firefly. =( The Nebuchadnezzar needs someone who will happily exclaim, "Shiny!"

No comments: