Saturday, April 10, 2010

10:27 - coffee with milk, and two chocolate-fig kisses.




Around 11:30 to 13:00(??) - dim sum at Regal, which is usually where we go.


15:13 - I bought some chips from Mr. Bun's in Cuba Mall and, boy, did it taste weird. I had a few then threw the rest away. Should've just stuck with Cozy Cake Shop - best chicken and chips in town! Eatcher heart out, KFC!




15:26 - had a sausage bun from Cube Bakery (also bought four egg tarts - fresh, and one for one! - and another four-pack of chocolate-fig kisses).




18:59 - pasta with Italian sausages and fresh button mushrooms. And LOTSA garlic.




20:30 - lemon-scented tea, and an egg tart.




00:17 - two slices of (rather dry) navel orange, and some slices of nashi pear.




Watched The Cove which, I suppose, is controversial in more ways than one.

Although it is very painful to see the water turn red with the blood of the stabbed (slaughtered) dolphins, is that any less 'humane' than how halal meats are begotten? Another thing I wondered about was the necessity of killing all the dolphins that had been trapped and unsold - I mean, how about setting them free?

C and I believe that if you want the Japanese to stop whaling, putting so much public pressure and (negative) spotlight on them isn't the way to go. Does the concept of "saving face" not transcend cultures? Also, the "you're either with us or against us" attitude ain't gonna get you very far, if anywhere at all. Learn from history.

I stopped eating shark fins when I learned about the shark finning; however, I have eaten shark meat, and prolly still will - unless I learned something else that would have me avoid it completely (mercury content notwithstanding). On the other hand, I don't have a leg to stand on regarding ethical treatment of animals. I'm Chinese; stereotypically, we eat just about anything that moves - on land, in water, or in the air. I don't buy my eggs and meats based on how they were reared, and how they were slaughtered (I don't eat halal meat just because I'm not Muslim, also because it costs more here and can only be bought from Newtown).

As my dad would've said of any bleeding-heart animal-rights activism I might exhibit: "Then don't eat [meat], lah! Starve, lor! Nobody would care if you die." (I think he would've also said something about how vegetables might be screaming in pain for all you know - another reason to avoid non-meat items.)

He's practical that way.

No comments: