Sunday, November 23, 2014

Another Bollywood Weekend

Made myself watch Barfi! last night. I've read good reviews of it but avoided it because I know it'll upset my emotional balance.

Actually, I like it a lot so I'm gonna buy the DVD and never watch. it (Well ... maybe just the scenes of Barfi and Jhilmil interacting because those are adorably charming.)

My only complaints:

  • the instrumental track (I love Delicatessen and Amelie, and however good Barfi! is, it's not as whimsical as Jeunet's works);
  • even if it's a tribute to Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin, Basu should've directed Kapoor to try to be a little more original (wtf is fuck black-and-white life-size cutout of Chaplin doing in the flick? There's no need to bash that reference over your audience's collective heads);
  • Shruti looks too young for Barfi (I'd initially thought D'Cruz must be at least a decade younger than Kapoor) which made it a little creepy for me at first;
  • it's one of those films that show erroneously that if a guy is unrelenting in his pursuit of a girl, without regard for her lack of feelings for him, he'll eventually wear her down and she'll just give up.

Also caught Hasee Toh Phasee — OMG I <3 Parineeti Chopra!!! She is just utterly, utterly adorable. AND she can act. Jackpot!

Can't wait for next weekend when I'll finally reward myself with a shitload of new movies!

No comments: